Monday, May 7, 2018

May 7, 2018

Demon's Crest (SNES): Just a brief go on my RetroDuo.  The game froze at the tutorial boss...

But I really do need to play this, and the game before it.  I ADORED Gargoyle's Quest as a kid, but never got around to the two sequels.

Young Merlin (SNES): Another old favorite.  I actually bought this one cheap from Walmart way back when they had shelves with little bins of old SNES (and, I believe, NES and Genesis) games.  I remember it being fairly fun and unique, and somewhat Zelda-y.

It is indeed somewhat Zelda-y, but with a very early-90s PC vibe.  There are bits of voicework, which is pretty cool, and the animations (such as when Merlin gets tossed across the screen) are smooth, detailed, and cartoony.  There's an old password system, which stinks, and does make me wish I was playing on my Retron 5 instead of my RetroDuo, but I don't want to leave my Retron 5 in the basement for several practical reasons.

Somewhere I have an old gaming magazine with early screenshots of this game.  The scene is very clearly the first scene in the game, but the graphics are much more serious and muted.

Minor Entries: Black Desert Online (PC), Sword of Chaos (iOS).

No comments:

Post a Comment