Wednesday, May 9, 2018

May 9, 2018

Lots today!  Well, more like a few games in a short period.  But still!

Battletoads in Battlemaniacs: The graphics are great, but the game is a little difficult.  I lost a few lives from running off edges or not pulling off jumps, and I'm not sure if that's a result of slidly controls or my RetroBit controller itself being a little sensitive.

Still, fantastic graphics and a classic SNES sound!  I played up to the second level--surprise, a vertical shaft!--and then called it quits, moving on to Illusion of Gaia.

Link to the Past, The (SNES): You know, I don't think I've ever seriously played this game to any real extent.  That changed today!  I deleted the saves of poor David and Levi (the previous owners of the copy, I assume), where David had not one but TWO completed saves, saved right before the boss.  At some point, he loved this game!  I wonder where he is now?  Was Levi his little brother, or a friend?

Anyway, it starts off rather intense for a Zelda game.  Well, for an early one, at least: you gotta remember, my only significant Zelda experiences are LoZ, The Adventure of Link, Link's Awakening, and the later Orcales games!  It's a dark and storm night, and some guy (your caretaker?  Dad?) marches off with his sword and shield.

You find him in the dungeon, and from there you do some typical Link stuff with swords and boomerangs, till you rescue the princess and escape from the dungeon.  Pretty cool!  Or, rather, it was, until I bit it during our escape.  Whoops!

Looking forward to more!

Illusion of Gaia (SNES): I played this one the longest!  It starts off like a normal RPG, which slightly taller sprites than the usual squashed ones.  You gotta save a princess, you have school chums, blah blah... and then you get to the first dungeon.  It's a rather simplistic action-adventure game from there.  Instead of leveling up, you power up by clearing the entire room of enemies, at which point they'll drop a strength or defense boost.

As a rather cool touch, when you enter the dark world save area and choose not to continue after saving, the game continues on, playing a tune that manages to be both haunting and relaxing.  It makes me think of the old Resident Evil save room tracks from their various entries..

Sweet Home (NES): To start it all off, I gave the English translation of this Resident Evil forefather a go.  The controls are a bit wonky (it could certainly benefit from more buttons), but it's certainly dark and creepy.  I would have loved this as a kid (and been completely freaked out!).

Minor Entries: Black Desert Online (PC), Sword of Chaos (iOS).

No comments:

Post a Comment